Sunday, October 10, 2010

Autumn Inspirations

The beautiful weather and unusual warm days have been calling me outside to wander the farm. I've walked around the 20 acre perimeter several times checking out the land, fence, trees, paths, and so on. As any farmer will tell you, the work is never done. But I'm also encouraged to see how much we have accomplished in just two growing seasons.

When Bob is back to normal hours after the harvest craze, I've got lots of questions for him. Lots of possible pictures to paint for him to weigh in on. Should we plow up the few acres up north that run full-width east/west to level out the land and reseed grass/legumes? Why or Why not? Are there other smaller areas we should consider fencing in for more paddocks to use with intensive grazing? Any areas to burn? Do we clean up any of the fallen trees in the 'forest' or just let them all decay away?

I'm like a toddler asking my basic questions to the oh-so-wise parent. I'm sure Bob will patiently answer and guide me in my grass farming adventure. In the meantime, I'll continue to walk and dream as long as the mild weather hangs around. Its good to dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment